Last week I had a very dear friend Veronica call in for coffee. We had a great time catching up on what we’re doing, me with FionaDee and my coaching and her in her role at a local Council and various community groups she is involved with.
Veronica is an amazing woman who has overcome a lot of challenges as she raised her six children on her own from when they were young. She is a very determined, purposeful woman who has always gone after her dreams, despite others trying to hold her back. She has learned to love well, to accent the positive and give out of her wisdom and experience to many in her community including young women and families.
I decided on the spur of the moment that it was too good an opportunity not to have a quick interview with Veronica. The question I asked her was ‘what was one of the biggest challenges you had to overcome as a solo mum’?
Watch the video to find out what she said. I was surprised at her answer. It was not what I was expecting.
(This video is raw and unedited down to the Facebook ping. Next time I’ll remember to turn it off).
I just love it that Veronica made a choice not to listen to the expectations of others. If she had she may well be in a very different life experience than she is now.
For me the learning points from her experience come out like this:
- Our well meaning friends and family have ingrained beliefs and mindsets they can push on us and not realise it is leading us away from our fullest potential.
- That if you listen to your heart and your dreams anything is possible.
- No one said it would be easy, but Veronica will tell you that it is worth it!
- That in following our dreams and the highest good, we become role models that inspire and motivate others, including our children.
- What we overcome and accomplish that can be a message of hope to someone else going through the same struggles.